- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 medium onion, diced (255 g, approx. 2 cups)
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced (205 g, approx. 1 ⅔ cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated (27 g, 1 heaping tbsp )
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (25 g)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 6 cups vegetable stock (1.5 L)
- 1 ½ cups red lentils, rinsed (285 g)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (45 ml)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped (12 g)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil (use water or broth for oil-free) in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 min, until softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and turmeric. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add stock and lentils and season with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-18 min, until lentils are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, or regular blender, blend half the soup until smooth. Return soup to the pot, if using a regular blender.
- Add 1 tsp lemon zest and 3 tbsp lemon juice, then stir to combine.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve with fresh cilantro.
Storing: Let cool then store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge if frozen. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through, adding additional stock or water to adjust the thickness, if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 347
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 61 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 19 g
Keywords: lemon lentil soup, red lentil soup with lemon