An easy recipe for orzo with savory herb roasted vegetables in a zesty garlic lemon dressing. Enjoy this pasta hot or as a cold pasta salad – both ways are delicious!
- 2 cups uncooked orzo (410 g)
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and chopped (200 g)
- 1 small or half a large red onion, chopped (250 g)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (150 g)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon zest (avoid white pith, use just the yellow peel)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, finely chopped, optional
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roast Vegetables: Chop all the veggies roughly the same size and add them to a large baking sheet with enough room to spread in an even layer. Use 2 pans if necessary. Add 1/2 tbsp (1.5 tsp) of the olive oil, the dried thyme and oregano and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix to coat. Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Cook Orzo: Start bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil on the stovetop. Once boiling, cook the orzo according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and add to a large mixing bowl or serving bowl.
- Mix Dressing: Mix the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small dish until combined.
- Combine: Once the vegetables are done, add them to the bowl with the orzo and dressing and toss to coat. Mix in the fresh parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve: Serve orzo right away with more fresh parsley, fresh cracked black pepper and lemon wedges, if desired.
Serves 6-8 as a side dish or 3-4 as a main. I’d suggest adding your choice of protein if enjoying as main dish.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Leftovers can be enjoyed cold or reheated in the microwave.
The amount of veggies doesn’t have to be exact. Use somewhere between 4-6 cups chopped vegetables.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 204
- Sodium: 398 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: orzo with roasted vegetables