- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced (390 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots (175 g, approx. 1.5 cups chopped)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 head of cauliflower (775 g, approx. 7 cups chopped)
- 4 cups lightly packed, chopped, de-stemmed kale (120 g)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh lemon juice for serving, optional
- Saute the onions and garlic in 2 tbsp of broth or water in a large soup pot over medium heat until they start to soften and become fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped carrots, dried parsley and ground thyme. Cook for few more minutes, adding another splash of stock if needed if the pan starts to dry out.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and chopped cauliflower and bring to a light simmer. Simmer lightly, uncovered, until the cauliflower is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off then carefully scoop about 1/2 of the soup into a blender, leaving some pieces of carrot and cauliflower behind. Blend until smooth and creamy (make sure you allow steam to escape when blending) and then pour the blended soup back into the pot and mix with the remaining soup.
- Stir in the chopped kale. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow kale to soften.
- Serve right away with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Nutrition information is for if you make 4 large servings of approximately 450 grams each. Feel free to make 5-6 smaller servings. If you make 6 servings out of this recipe, it will be 70 calories per serving with 14 g carbohydrates, 0 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein.
Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw in the fridge. Reheat as needed in the microwave or stovetop until heated to your preference.
For a heartier soup, try stirring in 1-2 cups cooked rice, white beans or chickpeas when you add the kale. You can add a little additional broth if needed to adjust the consistency.
- Serving Size: 1 (approx. 450 g)
- Calories: 102
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: kale cauliflower soup, healthy cauliflower soup, kale and cauliflower soup