These fresh and delicious hummus bowls with Shawarma-spiced tofu bites are perfect for meal prep or a healthy, flavourful meal any night of the week!
For the Tofu
- 1 350 g package of extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, optional
For the Hummus
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (60 mL)
- 1/4 cup tahini (60 g)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1–4 tbsp water or aquafaba, if needed
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
For the Bowls
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1.5 cups)
- 4 handfuls baby spinach or baby kale
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (or pickled red onion)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomato, halved
- 1 cup kalamata olives, preferably pitted
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, optional
- feta cheese, optional for serving
- extra-virgin olive oil, optional for serving
- lemon, optional for serving
- hot sauce, optional for serving
- Press Tofu: This is optional but pressing for just 5-10 minutes will help remove excess water, though you can leave it for up to 30 minutes. Use a tofu press or wrap the tofu in a dish cloth and put it on a plate. Place a heavy object such as a skillet on top of it and let it sit.
- Bake Tofu: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Break the blog of tofu into bite-sized pieces in a bowl. Add all the spices, oil and cornstarch, if using. Toss to coat. Spread the tofu on a baking pan and bake for 30 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- Cook Grains: Optional but if you’d like to add a grain like quinoa, farro or brown rice to your bowl, cook it now according to package instructions.
- Prepare Hummus: Add all of the hummus ingredients, except the water, to a food processor and blend until smooth. If needed, add water 1 tbsp at a time to reach your desired consistency.
- Assemble Bowls: You can either spread the hummus on the bottom or side of the bowl (scoop hummus by equal spoonfuls into each bowl until you use all of it), then assemble all the other ingredients on top or to the side, or start with a bed of greens and place everything else on top, finishing with a big scoop of the hummus. Serve with a sprinkle of feta, a squeeze of fresh lemon, a drizzle of olive oil and hot sauce, if desired.
- Hummus can be prepared 1-2 days in advance. Assembled bowls can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days in a sealed container.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 489
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 24 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 25 g
Keywords: hummus bowl recipe