Hummus avocado toast is one of my favourites quick, healthy breakfasts or snacks. It even works for a light lunch or dinner or pretty appetizer guests will love. You can enjoy just is simply with just hummus, avocado, salt and pepper or dress it up with ingredients like sprouts, radish, hemp seeds, pickled red onions and herbs.
What to Put it On?
Avocado toast deserves good bread. I like Silver Hills, organic sourdough bread, Glutenull or bread we pick up from local bakeries here in Vancouver. I would recommend checking your local bakeries for a good quality bread or of course, making your own. Crackers work great too. I like making flax seed crackers or using Ryvita crackers.
The topping ideas for avocado toast are endless. Pretty much any herb, spice or vegetable goes well. Here are some of my favourite toppings:
- Pea shoots or broccoli sprouts
- Thinly sliced radish or cucumber
- Grated carrot
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Hemp seeds
- Pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- Crushed walnuts or almonds
- Dijon mustard
- Sprinkle of cumin or coriander
- Sea salt and pepper
- Lemon or lime
- Pickled onions
- Sliced tomatoes and balsamic vinegar
- Cilantro or dill
- Cashew cream
- Any and all combinations of the above
How about dill, cashew cream and cucumber, sunflower seeds, capers and spinach or hemp seeds, sliced tomato and balsamic vinegar? The must-haves for me are just sea salt and pepper, so you can keep it as simple as that or get as fancy as you feel like.
The pickled red onions pictured are one of my favourite toppings and they take just a few minutes to make, find out how here.
More Simple “Recipes” On the Way
Hummus avocado toast obviously isn’t really a recipe but I plan to start sharing more every day, simple eats here on the blog. I often don’t use recipes in my kitchen unless I’m working on a new one for the blog. Most days, it’s simple, quick, healthy options like this that I don’t have to thick much about. I hope you’ll enjoy more simple “recipes” on the way.
Try Your Own HummusPrint
Avocado toast is a great way to start the day or enjoy a healthy bite for lunch or dinner. Enjoy this toast simply with just hummus, avocado, salt and pepper or dress it up with sliced radish, hemp seeds and pickled red onion.
- 1 large piece of bread or 2 crackers or smaller pieces of bread
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 tbsp hummus
- sea salt and pepper
- optional: thinly sliced radish, sprinkle of hemp seeds, pickled onions (see notes)
- If you’re using bread, toast until nicely browned.
- Mash the avocado then spread on the toast. Spread the hummus over the avocado then add desired toppings.
Keywords: avocado toast, hummus toast, breakfast, vegan breakfast