These Healthy Vegan Veggie Burritos are easy to make and feature delicious sautéed zucchini and black beans for a delicious and nutritious plant-based meal.
Healthy Vegan Veggie Burritos
Feel free to use your choice of cheese or omit it all together. I used soy cheese in this, which was a treat but I wanted something cheesy and melty for that extra comfort-food feel. I also added salsa, guacamole, lettuce and diced peppers but you can add whatever other filling you can think of. Grated carrots, fresh tomato, green onion and fresh cilantro are all yummy too.
This healthy veggie burrito is very filling and easy to make with simple ingredients, making it a perfect weeknight dinner.Print
These flavourful, tasty Mexican-inspired wraps are chock full of vitamins, fibre and protein. They’re easy to make with simple ingredients making them perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner.
For the Sautéed Beans and Veggies
- 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- olive oil for sautéing (optional, use water or broth if you prefer)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt, chili powder and cumin
- 2 19 oz. cans of black beans, drained and well-rinsed
Burrito Fillings Ideas
- shredded lettuce
- guacamole or mashed avocado
- vegan cheese of choice
- diced red pepper
- spritz of fresh lime juice
- Add the zucchini, garlic, onion, jalapeño, olive oil and spices to a pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat, stirring often. Now, you can either just add the black beans to the veggies and heat through or heat them in a separate pot, mashing them up a little to resemble re-fried beans.
- Meanwhile, layer guacamole and salsa into a wrap.
- Add the heated beans and cooked zucchini.
- Top with cheese, lettuce, red pepper and lime.
- Wrap it up and eat!
- Makes approximately 6 large burritos or 8 smaller ones.