This healthier version of classic sweet potato casserole is made with wholesome ingredients like maple syrup, oats and pecans. Serve this side dish with other holiday favourites for a complete feast.
For the Sweet Potato Filling
- 3 lb. of sweet potato (3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, 1360 g)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Oat Pecan Crumble
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup blended into oat flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter or coconut oil (see notes for oil-free)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise and place cut-side down on a baking tray.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until very tender.
- Let them cool for 6-7 minutes on the tray then remove the skins. The skins should peel off very easily.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the oat pecan topping. Blend 1/2 cup of the oats into fine oat flour using a food processor. Add the rest of the topping ingredients and pulse to combine into a crumbly mixture.
- Transfer the peeled, cooked sweet potato to a baking dish and mash with a potato masher. Stir in the rest of the filling ingredients. Alternatively, for extra creamy filling, add the cooked sweet potato to a large mixing bowl and mix with an immersion blender or hand-held electric mixer, blending in the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Spread the sweet potato filling in an approximately 8×8 inch baking dish or a 1.5-2 qt. oven-safe casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the oat pecan topping evenly overtop.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 day.
For an oil-free recipe, the vegan butter or coconut oil can be omitted. The topping will be softer without it but I’ve made it both ways and it will still taste great.
If you don’t have a food processor, use a blender or immersion blender to make the oat flour then transfer it to a bowl. Finely chop the pecans. Add the chopped pecans and the rest of the topping ingredients and stir to combine. If you don’t have any method to blend the oat flour, use 1/3 cup whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup rolled oats instead of 3/4 cup total rolled oats.
Keywords: healthy, easy, best, refined sugar-free, oil-free