Healthy Carrot Slaw with Baked BBQ Tofu
This healthy vegan carrot slaw with BBQ baked tofu makes a quick and easy dish that’s perfect for a light meal.
So, what’s this healthy carrot slaw all about, anyways..let’s see…
Quick & Healthy Carrot Slaw
- ready in minutes
- fresh and flavourful
- perfect for summer
- add your favorite protein
- try it with grilled corn
- low carb
- low fat
- high in vitamins, minerals and antioxideants thanks to…
The Health Benefits of Carrots
- Carrots are great for the skin. Carrots are high in vitamin A and antioxidants that protect the skin from sun damage.
- Carrots are heart-healthy. Carrots are a good source of potatssium, which is a vasodilator and help to increase blood flow and circulations, reducing stress on the cardiovascular system.
- Carrots are great for the immune system. Carrots contain a number of antiseptic and antibacterial abilities that make it ideal for boosting the immune system. Not only that, carrots are a rich source of vitamin C.
- ok…there are really too many benefits to list. Carrots are great for oral health, they can help to prevent strokes, they are high in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant, the vitamin A can help improve eyesight and prevent macular degeneration and eating carrots can help reduce cholesterol.
I guess the moral of this little story is: there is a lot of good stuff in carrots and you should eat them daily to improve your health and feel great!
They’re also low in calories and high in fibre, making them a wonderful addition to any healthy, balanced diet. This quick and easy, healthy carrot slaw is certainly a great place to start getting more carrot in your diet.
If you can get your hands on some purple or yellow carrots, just imagine how beautiful it would be! Farmer’s market season is just around the corner, so I’m sure you’ll be able to find some soon!
I’ve made this healthy carrot slaw a bunch of times now and it comes together in just a few minutes. It’s nutritious, easy to make and make the perfect base for your choice of protein, in my case, baked BBQ tofu!
More Healthy Salads
Here are some more light and healthy salads you’ll love:
- Black Bean Corn Salad
- Vegan Thai Chopped Salad with Tofu
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Chickpea Bell Pepper Salad
- 6 medium carrots, sliced with a julienne peeler
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
- 1 loosely packed cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1–2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 5–8 drops liquid stevia, or 1-2 tbsp or maple syrup or agave (Buy here)
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the BBQ Baked Tofu
- Ideally, press tofu first but wrapping the entire block in a dish towel and placing a few heavy objects on top. Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cube tofu and add to a bowl with all other tofu ingredients, mix well.
- Spread tofu on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- To make the sala, add all ingredients to a big bowl.
- Mix well and serve topped with baked BBQ tofu! (See recipe below)
I’ve also served this salad with a vegan ranch dressing made from approximately 2 tbsp of tahini, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp onion powder, 2 tbsp hemp seeds, sea salt, apple cider vinegar and a bit of almond milk to adjust the consistency. Blend until smooth. That was also delicious but I decided to keep the main recipe very simple.
When I made this dressing, I served the slaw over a bed of chopped romaine and topped with the tofu below. It was awesome!
BUY A JULIENNE PEELER HERE– Under $10
Keywords: healthy, low-carb, low-fat, protein, easy