- Mix the flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup or sweetener of choice if using, then slowly add the water, mixing until “just mixed.” It should be a little lumpy and quite thick but still pourable. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Allow the batter to rest while you heat a pan over low to medium heat. Use a little cooking spray or a good non-stick pan and scoop about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles start to appear and the edges of each pancake look dry and firm. Flip and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Enjoy right away with your favorite pancake toppings. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge or freezer and reheated as needed.
Sweetening options include 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup, agave or coconut sugar or for sugar-free pancakes, stevia powder, liquid stevia drops or monk fruit, to taste. If you’re using flavored protein powder, you can omit or reduce additional sweetener. Nutrition facts are for stevia-sweetened pancakes, adjust accordingly if you use another sweetener. Depending on the protein powder used, you may not even need additional sweetener.
The original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of water but readers were reporting the batter to be too runny. I reduced it to 1 cup but you may need up to 1 1/2 cups works depending on the protein powder you use. Start with 1 cup and slowly add more as needed. It works great with 1 cup but the batter is very thick, however, this will result in an extra thick and fluffy pancake. If you want the batter to stretch a little further and make more pancakes, add a little extra water. The batter should be thick but pourable.
The recipe makes enough for 2 servings, however, the exact number of pancakes it makes will depends how big each pancake is and how much liquid is added to the batter. Regardless, however many pancakes you make, half of that is meant to be one serving.
- Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe
- Calories: 295
- Sodium: 20.2 mg
- Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 16 g
Keywords: vegan protein pancakes, protein pancakes, high-protein pancakes