This Fall harvest salad features the best Fall flavours: squash, apple, kale, brussel sprouts, beets, pomegranate and cranberries. All that topped off with a sweet and tangy tahini maple dressing? Perfection.
For the Salad
- 4 cups halved brussel sprouts
- 4 cups peeled and diced, butternut or acorn squash
- 4 small beets, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil for roasting
- 2 cups tightly packed, finely chopped kale
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
For the Tahini Maple Dressing
- 5 tbsp (75 g) tahini
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4–6 tbsp water, to reach desired consistency
- pinch of salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper (you may need two trays).
- Cut the ends off the brussels sprouts and cut each in half. If there are any large-sized ones, cut them into quarters.
- There are a few ways you can roast the squash. I like to de-seed it, slice into large chunks then roast and remove the skin and dice after roasting. You can easily peel the skin off after it cools a bit. Alternatively, cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and roast face down on a pan until you can pierce with a fork. Let cool until you can handle, then remove the skin and dice. And lastly, remove the seeds, peel and dice and roast on the pan with the brussels sprouts.
- For the beets, you can peel, dice and roast with the brussels sprouts and squash. Dice on the smaller side since they take a bit longer to cook then the other vegetables. Alternatively, they can be be cut into chunks and boiled or steamed stovetop until you can easily pierce with a fork. After they’re tender, run under cool water and slice for the salad.
- Add all the chopped veggies (if you’re roasting everything) to the baking tray, add 1 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes until everything is tender.
- Wash the kale and remove the leaves from the thick stems. Finely chop and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Blend all the dressing ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Once the vegetables are roasted, add all ingredients to the bowl with the kale. Top with the dressing and mix well. Serve immediately.
Oil-Free Option: Toss vegetables with 2-3 tbsp vegetable broth and a pinch of salt and pepper before roasting. A dash of balsamic vinegar and/or maple syrup is yummy too!
Nut-Free Option: Replace walnuts with sunflower seeds or pepitas. Pecans also work, though not nut-free.
Storing: Store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Make in Advance: Tahini sauce can be prepared up to 6 days in advance – thin with water if it’s too thick after storing. Vegetables can be roasted up to 4 days in advance. Let cool then store in a sealed container until ready to prepare the salad.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 482
- Sugar: 38 g
- Sodium: 100 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 73 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: fall salad, healthy fall salad, winter salad