This easy tempeh stir fry is ready in 20 minutes for a healthy and tasty vegetarian dinner!
For the Stir Fry Sauce
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce (60 mL)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (15 mL)
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter (30 g)
- 2 tsp sesame oil (10 mL)
- 2 tsp chili-garlic sauce (10 g)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 water (60 mL)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
For the Stir Fry
- 1 8oz pkg tempeh, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets (150 g)
- 1 cup carrots, cut into thin half-moons (150 g)
- 1 small white onion, chopped (100 g/1 cup)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil, divided
- 2 tbsp water
- cooked rice
- sesame seeds
- green onion
- Make the Stir Fry Sauce: Add all of the stir fry sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Cook the Tempeh: Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large wok or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the tempeh and cook for 7-8 minutes, flipping the cubes occasionally until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Stir Fry the Veggies: Add the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil to the same pan along with 2 tbsp of water. Be careful as the oil may spatter if the pan is still hot. Add most of the green onions (reserve some for topping), broccoli, carrot, onion and bell pepper. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes to steam. Uncover and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until the veggies are tender.
- Finish Stir Fry: Add the sauce to the pan and cook for 1 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the tempeh and stir to combine and coat in the sauce.
- Serve: Serve your stir fry over your choice of rice and topped with sesame seeds and the remaining green onion.
Store leftover stir fry in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Nutrition facts do not include rice for serving.
For simple stir-fried tempeh that’s saucier, use as much as double the tempeh and reduce the veggies to 1-2 cups. I’d suggest just using 1-2 cups broccoli, 1 bunch of scallions or a combination of broccoli and scallions.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of stir fry
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 10 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: tempeh stir fry