These delicious 3-ingredient, homemade vegan turtles are always a hit during the holidays! All you need to make them is dates, chocolate and pecans!
- Add the dates and sea salt to a food processor and process for about 20-30 seconds until they form a one, big ball of dough. If your dates are dry, you may need to add a little warm water to get them to blend. Add 1 tsp of water at at time and process until they form a thick doughy ball.
- Roll the dough into 16 ball and place on a baking tray lined with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Flatten each ball slightly then press 3 pecan halves onto each disc so that most of each pecan is on the dough but some of each one sticks off the edge. The pecans will touch in the middle and form a little triangle on the outside. Think of one pecan as the head and the other two as the legs.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl and melt in 15-second increments in the microwave, stirring every 15-seconds until smooth and creamy or use a melt stovetop using a double boiler stovetop.
- Add a spoonful of melted chocolate to each turtle until you use up all the chocolate. Smooth the chocolate with the back of a spoon so it covers most of the pecans and all of the date dough. A little bit of each pecan should be left sticking out.
- Place the entire baking tray in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate has hardened. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 2 months.
You can either put the pecans on the bottom or in the middle for this recipe. I prefer them with the “caramel” on the bottom and the pecans in the middle. To try them with the pecans on the bottom and caramel in the middle like a more traditional turtle, simply flip them over after sticking the pecans in and then add the melted chocolate over the date mixture. Just make sure you get some chocolate on the pecans so it helps hold it all together.
Keywords: easy, 3-ingredient, Christmas, gift, homemade