This easy, healthy vegan stuffing recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and other holiday meals. Serve this delicious stuffing alongside favourites like mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce for a complete holiday feast.
- 10 cups cubed whole-grain bread (or white bread or sourdough)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or oil, or water or broth for oil-free stuffing
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced, approx. 2 cups
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced, approx. 1.5 cups
- 4 ribs celery, chopped, approx. 2 cups
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp dried sage or 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chopped sage
- 1 tsp ground thyme or 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary or 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1–2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast Bread: Place the cubed bread on 1 or 2 baking trays and toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly crispy and browned. Keep a close eye on them to ensure they don’t burn.
- Saute Vegetables: Heat the butter or oil, if using, in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, garlic and carrot and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. If you didn’t use butter, add the water or broth for cooking. Saute the vegetables for 7-8 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add Herbs: Stir in the dried or fresh herbs and cook for a few more minutes. Add more vegetable broth if the pan starts to dry out, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of pan as you do.
- Mix Stuffing: Add the cubed toasted bread and sautéed veggies to a large mixing bowl and add 1 cup of vegetable broth.
- Adjust Liquid & Seasoning: Mix well then slowly start adding more broth until all the bread is moist but not soaked. I use about 1.5 cups broth. You may need a little more or less depending on the bread you use. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer to Baking Dish: Transfer the mixture to a large casserole dish. I used a shallow 12 x 9 inch glass dish. It can be a little smaller and deeper, that’s totally fine.
- Bake Stuffing: Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve: Serve right away or cool and store in the fridge until ready to reheat.
Keywords: easy vegan stuffing, healthy vegan stuffing