- 1 large white onion, diced, approx. 2 cups (300 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped, approx. 1 heaping cup (150 g)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped, approx. 1 cup (125 g)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes the juices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked pasta of choice such as whole wheat bows or rotini (85 g)
- 1 19 oz can kidney beans, drained and well-rinsed (approx. 2 cups cooked beans, 330 g)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- optional, 2 handfuls of fresh spinach or chopped kale
- Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery to a 7.5 qt. soup pot and cook over medium heat in 2-3 tbsp of water or broth for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and adding water as needed if it starts to dry out.
- Add the diced tomatoes, herbs, broth, beans and pasta and simmer lightly until the pasta is tender, approximately 10-15 minutes depending on the kind of pasta you use.
- If you want to add some spinach or kale, stir that in now and turn off the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and either serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 131
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 250 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
Keywords: vegan minestrone soup, easy minestrone soup