These vegan chocolate chip banana muffins are made with healthier baking ingredients you probably already have on hand. The natural sweetness of banana cuts down on the need for added sugar and the result is a rich and decadent chocolate muffin that can be enjoyed any time for a snack or dessert everyone will love!
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed into a smooth puree (335 g)
- ½ cup almond milk or other plant milk (125 mL)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 2 ½ cups spelt flour (300 g)
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar (95 g)
- ½ cup cocoa powder (50 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (50 g)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12-piece standard-sized muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Add the banana to a large mixing bowl and mash into a smooth puree using a fork or immersion blender
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients (plant milk, vinegar, vanilla extract and olive oil) to the banana and mix until completely combined
- Add the dry ingredients (spelt flour, salt, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder) and gently fold together until all of the flour has been incorporated and no dry bits remain.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in to distribute throughout the batter.
- Use a large cookie scoop or a 1/4 cup measure to divide the batter evenly between the 12 cups.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then lift out and let cool on a baking rack for at least another 30 minutes before enjoying.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 16 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: chocolate banana muffins, vegan chocolate banana muffins