This sweet potato soup with cauliflower is easy to make in under 30 minutes, budget-friendly and full of flavour. This soup is ideal for making ahead as the flavours are even better the next day.
- 1 large white onion, diced (about 3 cups or 400 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional for heat
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock (1000 mL)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (4 cups, 450 g)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped (5 cups, 500 g)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp cane sugar, brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup green peas, canned (drain and rinse) or frozen (170 g)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook Onion & Garlic: Cook the garlic and onions with a pinch of salt in a couple of tablespoons of the vegetable stock for 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Stir often.
- Add Spices: Stir in the curry powder and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add another splash of broth if needed if the pan starts to dry out.
- Add Liquid & Vegetables: Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, sweet potato and cauliflower.
- Cook Soup: Simmer lightly, uncovered, until the sweet potato is cooked through and easily pierced with a fork, approximately 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Blend: Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and processor until very smooth and creamy then pour back into the pot. Be sure to let the steam escape as you’re blending. You can blend all of the soup for a cream soup or blend 1/2 of the soup to leave some chunky texture. Alternatively, use an immersion blender right in the pot and blend to your desired consistency.
- Season: Stir in the lime juice, sugar and green peas and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve: Serve right away topped with fresh cilantro and another spritz of lime juice, if desired.
Nutrition facts are estimated using full-fat coconut milk. Sodium content varies based on the broth used.
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 491 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: curry sweet potato soup