For the Crust
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour, 180 g
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 67 g
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened, 113 g
For the Lemon Cream
- Soak the Cashews: Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with hot water. Soak in the fridge or covered at room temperature for at least 4 hours up to overnight (recommended 12 hours or overnight if you do not have a high-speed blender).
- Prepare: When you’re ready to proceed, preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper so it sticks out over at least two of the edges. This will help with easy removal after baking.
- Mix the Crust: Mix all of the crust ingredients together with a spoon or a food processor until you get a moldable dough. You can add an additional 1-2 tbsp vegan butter if the dough seems too dry.
- Press Dough into Pan: Use your hands to evenly press the dough into the prepared baking dish, firmly working it into all of the corners.
- Bake Crust: Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- If you turned the oven off while waiting for the crust to cool, preheat to 350 F.
- Blend Filling: Drain and rinse the soaked cashews then add them to a high-speed blender along with the rest of the lemon cream ingredients.
- Bake Bars: Once the crust has cooled, pour the lemon cream on top and bake the bars for 20-25 minutes, until the centre is set.
- Cool: Allow to cool completely at room temperature and then transfer to the fridge for at least 1 hour before cutting and serving. Serve with a light dusting of sifted powdered sugar on top, if desired.
Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for 3-4 months. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 186
- Sodium: 76 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: vegan lemon bars, vegan lemon squares