This vegan Southwestern pasta salad is delicious any time but especially during the warm summer months. Serve as a main dish, side dish or appetizer!
For the Pasta Salad
- 375 g rotini pasta
- 2 cups corn kernels (150 g)
- 2 jalapeno, diced (50 g)
- 2 tsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, diced (160 g)
- 2 medium red peppers, diced (350 g)
- 1-pint cherry tomato, halved (254 g)
- 1 398 mL can of black beans, drained and rinsed (1.5 cup approx.)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
For the Southwest Dressing
- Soak the Cashews: In a small bowl, cover the roasted cashews with 1 cup of boiling water. Let cashews soak for at least 15 minutes or until the water is no longer hot. This can be done up to 8 hours in advance.
- Cook Pasta: In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook your pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and rinse well under cold water to stop the cooking and prevent sticking.
- Roast Corn & Jalapeno: While the pasta is cooking, preheat the oven to Broil. Add the corn and jalapeno to a baking tray along with the oil and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer. roast in the oven on broil for 2 minutes, remove and stir around with a spoon. Place back in the oven for an additional 2 minutes or until the corn is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Blend the Southwest Dressing: Once the cashews are done soaking, place the cashews and water into a blender along with the other spices, garlic, lime juice and zest.
- Assemble the Pasta Salad: Once pasta is ready and corn has cooled, place in a large bowl with the onions, peppers, cherry tomato and black beans. Pour in the cashew dressing and mix thoroughly. Note: If you’re not serving right away, consider adding half the dressing and reserving half to add just before serving so the pasta doesn’t absorb all the sauce.
- Garnish & Serve: Season with salt and pepper if needed and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with a wedge of lime and enjoy!
If you don’t have chipotle powder, you can use 1-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 505
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 471 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 81 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 19 g
Keywords: southwest pasta salad, vegan pasta salad