- 1 19 oz can (2 cups) chickpeas, drained, well-rinsed and mashed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced (50 g, approx. 1/3 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, grated (100 g, approx. 1 cup lightly packed)
- 3 tbsp (15 g) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 g) peanut butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (100 g) quick oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, place them in a bowl and mash them with a fork or pulse a few times with an immersion blender.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and use your hands to mix very well.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into into 6-8 patties.
- Cook on the BBQ at 400 F for approximately 10 minutes per side or heat 1-2 tsp oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat and cook the burgers for about 5 minutes per side until browned and firm. The patties can also be oven-baked at 400 F for 20-30 minutes, flipping half-way through.
- Serve on a toasted bun with your favourite burger toppings like lettuce, onion, tomato, ketchup and mustard.
Cooked burgers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days or frozen in a container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Leftovers can be enjoyed cold or reheated in a pan on the stovetop or in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 350 F until heated through.
Please review the post above the recipe for FAQs, tips and substitutions.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 400 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: chickpea burgers, chickpea veggie burgers, best veggie burgers