- 1 19 oz can (2 cups) chickpeas, drained, well-rinsed and mashed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 g) natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (100 g) quick oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, place them in a bowl and mash them with a fork or pulse a few times with an immersion blender.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and use your hands to mix very well.
- Form into 6-8 patties.
- Cook on the BBQ around 400 F for approximately 10 minutes each side or fry in a pan with some oil for 3-5 minutes per side.
For successful recipe substitutions and alternative cooking methods, read through the comments below.
These burgers can be frozen after cooking and re-heated in the oven as needed.
I haven’t made them without oil but many readers have with success. Read through the comments for some great substitution ideas!
Keywords: chickpea burgers, chickpea veggie burgers, best veggie burgers