These easy to make veggie burgers are bursting with flavour and make an excellent alternative to store-bought versions. Try them on the BBQ for a delicious meal perfect for a summer afternoon.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, well-rinsed and mashed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup quick oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I haven’t made them without oil but many readers have with success. Read through the comments for some great substitution ideas!)
- After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, place them in a bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl.
- Use your hands to mix very well.
- Form into 6-8 patties.
- Cook on the BBQ around 400 F for approximately 10 minutes each side.
- You can also fry these in a pan with some oil for 3-5 minutes a side.
- For successful recipe substitutions and alternative cooking methods, read through the comments below.
- These burgers can be frozen after cooking and re-heated in the oven as needed.