For the Cashew Tofu Stir Fry
- 1 block 454g/16 oz tofu, drained*
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch (9 g)
- 1 cup cashews, unsalted (145 g)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced on the diagonal into 1/8 inch slices (132 g/1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices (150 g/ 1 ½ cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (190 g/ 1 ¾ cup)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (160 g)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional for serving
- chili flakes, optional for serving
For the Sauce:
- In a large non-stick pan, over medium heat, toast cashews for 4-6 min, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- Slice the block of tofu in half, lengthwise and then into three long strips. Use your hands to break each strip into 1-inch sized pieces, or cut into cubes. Breaking the tofu by hand results in a crispier exterior. Transfer tofu to a medium bowl. Sprinkle cornstarch over top and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tsp cooking oil of choice over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the tofu. Cook for 5-7 min, flipping pieces occasionally, until tofu is golden-brown and crisp on all sides. (depending on the size of your pan, you may have to do this in batches. You don’t want to overcrowd the pan). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To the pan, add another 2 tsp oil. Add the carrots, onions, peppers and broccoli. Cook for 5-7 min, stirring often, until tender-crisp.
- Add tofu, cashews and sauce to the pan with the veggies. Cook for 1-2 min, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and slightly reduced.
- Serve cashew tofu stir fry over rice. Sprinkle green onions over top and chili flakes, if desired.
Tip: To drain the tofu, sandwich the block of tofu between a few layers of paper towels or clean kitchen towels. Then place a cutting board on top. Stack a few heavy cans or cast iron pan on top. You want to weigh the tofu down, which will help the excess water press out into the towels. The drier the tofu, the better the texture. Let the tofu drain for at least 15-30 minutes. For more details, read this post on how to press tofu.
To Save Time: Use roasted unsalted cashews instead of toasting the raw cashews. Chop and store the veggies up to 3 days in advance.
Cooked stir fry can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 434
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 370 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 18 g
Keywords: cashew tofu, veggie tofu stir fry