For the Tempeh Marinade
- 1 package tempeh, cubed (220 g)
- 3 tbsp almond butter, peanut butter or sunflower seed butter
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp water
For the Cabbage Slaw
- 4 cups shredded cabbage per bowl
- 1 tbsp vinegar of choice or fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
For the Bowls
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice per bowl (make 1 cup dry rice if serving 4)
- 1–2 cups chopped and steamed broccoli per bowl
- If you don’t already have brown rice cooked, prepare some now.
- To make the tempeh, mix the marinade ingredients together in a container then add the cubed tempeh and mix well. Marinate at least an hour but preferably 4 hours up to overnight. Once it’s finished marinating, place the cubes on a baking tray and broil in the oven on a rack near the top until browned and gooey, approximately 10-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- To make the cabbage slaw, mix up to 6 cups shredded cabbage in a large bowl with the vinegar and your choice of sweetener.
- Steam the chopped broccoli. I use a steamer and time it for 13 minutes once I’ve placed it on a cold element and turn it on.
- Assemble the brown rice, cabbage slaw, steamed broccoli and baked tempeh in a bowl and serve right away or store in a container in the fridge up to 4 days.
Keywords: tempeh buddha bowl, vegan buddha bowl