- 1/2 cup uncooked farro (120 g)
- 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (2 cups, 340 g)
- 1/2 a red onion, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red, orange or yellow)
- 1/4 cup packed, finely chopped parsley (2o g)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (57 g)
- 3 cups broccoli florets (225 g)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the farro. Rinse the farro under cold water then add to a saucepan with 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil on the stovetop then reduce heat to low, cover and lightly simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender. Strain and rinse under cold water.
- Prepare the salad ingredients. While the farro is cooking, chop up the veggies and add everything except the broccoli to a mixing bowl or serving bowl.
- Blanch the broccoli. Bring a medium or large size pot of water to a boil on the stovetop. Add the broccoli florets and cook for 1 minute. Strain and rinse under cold water right away until completely cooled.
- Mix everything together. Add the cooked broccoli and farro to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Storing: Store in the fridge for up to 4 days in a sealed container. Not suitable for freezing.
Mayo can be substituted with 1/4 cup plain dairy-free Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup hummus or 2-3 tbsp tahini and 2 tbsp lemon juice.
Makes 4 approximately 1.5 cup servings.
Keywords: broccoli chickpea salad