For the Tofu
- 1 package of firm or extra-firm tofu
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the Coconut Bacon
- 1 cups plain unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, optional
- pinch of pepper
For the Almond Satay Sauce
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy suace
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
For the Bowls
- 3/4 cup cooked (1/4 cup dry) brown rice per person
- 4 cups chopped and steamed broccoli (about 1 cup per bowl)
- 4 cups finely chopped and lightly steamed kale (about 1 cup per bowl)
- 2 cups grated carrot (about 1/2 cup per bowl)
To Make the Tofu
- Slice a block of tofu into slabs and add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Let it sit while you make the coconut bacon.
- Once the coconut bacon is done, increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Lay the tofu slabs out on a parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove and flip each piece.
- Place back in the oven for 10-20 minute until brown and crispy.
To Make the Coconut Bacon
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add the coconut flakes to a bowl.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a small dish then pour over the coconut flakes and mix to coat.
- Spread the coconut flakes on a baking sheet in an even layer. They can be made directly on the pan or you can use parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Bake for 10 minutes then stir and flip. Spread back into an even layer. Continue baking in 3-5 minute increments until dark golden brown. Watch carefully once it starts turning brown as it will burn very quickly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan.
To Make the Almond Satay Sauce
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Store any extras in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To Make the Veggies
- Destem and finely chop the kale. Steam for 1-2 minutes in a steamer basket or in a covered pan with a bit of water.
- Chop the broccoli into florets and steam for 5 minutes in a steamer basket or in a covered pan with a bit of water.
- Grate the carrot using a grated or a julienne peeler.
To Assemble the Bowls
- Start with a base of lightly steamed kale then add the brown rice, broccoli, tofu and carrot.
- Top each bowl with equal amounts of the almond sauce and coconut bacon and dig in.
Find full details, tips and tricks on coconut bacon here.
Try this marinated tempeh, edamame or chickpeas instead of tofu.
Kale can be substituted with spinach.
Brown rice can be substituted with quinoa, farro, or cauliflower rice for a lower-carb option.
Assembled bowls can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Store the sauce separately until serving, if possible.
Keywords: brown rice buddha bowl, brown rice bowl