- Mix 1 tbsp of ground flax and 3 tbsp of warm water together in a small dish and set aside for a few minutes until it forms a gel.
- Mix the milk, vinegar, sweetener and flax egg and mix together in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, coconut and whole-wheat flour together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients and gently fold together until “just mixed”. If it’s a little lumpy, that’s perfect!
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Give it a light spray of non-stick cooking spray if needed.
- Once it’s heated, drop heaping 1/4 cup-sized portions of the batter onto the pan.
- Drop some blueberries onto each pancake as its cooking.
- Once a few bubbles start to appear and the sides of pancake look slightly browned and dry, carefully flip them.
- Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan and enjoy!
- Makes 6-8 pancakes to serve 2-3 people.
You may need another 1/4 cup of milk. The batter should be quite thick but you should be able to scoop it into pancake shapes fairly easily.
To make 1 flax egg, mix 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes.
Pancakes may be sweetened with your choice of coconut sugar, agave, maple syrup, stevia or monk fruit sweetener.
The vinegar or lemon helps add some fluffiness to the pancakes.
Keywords: coconut pancakes, vegan blueberry pancakes