Beet Orange Smoothie
This vegan beet orange smoothie is packed with healthy ingredients like raw beet, orange, zucchini and protein powder. Enjoy this bright and beautiful smoothie for a boost in energy any time of day.
This creamy beet orange smoothie is sure to become a new favourite! It’s such an easy way to sneak a ton of nutrition and fiber into your diet. It can be made as a smoothie or smoothie bowl and can easily be customized with different add-ins and substitutions to make it your own.
This smoothie does have a somewhat earthy, beet flavour, so if you’re not a big fan of beets, I’d suggest adding the optional half frozen banana for a little extra creaminess and sweetness.
I love it with and without the banana. The subtle beet flavour is really nice with the hint of orange. Just make sure you blend it long enough so its smooth and creamy and the flavours are completely combined.
- packed with nutrients from beet, orange, zucchini and spinach
- high in protein
- vegan, gluten-free, no added sugar
- fun, bright pink colour!
- Beets: Beets are wonderfully nutritious and make a great addition to smoothies! You can use raw or cooked fresh or frozen beet in this smoothie. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, I suggest using cooked beet or grated raw beet for easier blending.
- Orange: Oranges are fantastic for adding fiber, vitamin C and sweetness to smoothie. I like using frozen orange but you can use fresh orange too.
- Zucchini: Fresh or frozen works. If you have a sensitive digestive system, consider peeling the zucchini before use.
- Spinach: Swap it for kale, chard or any other leafy green.
- Protein Powder: I’d recommend using vegan protein powder to sweeten and thicken this smoothie, however if you’d like to skip it, it can be replaced with a frozen banana and if needed for sweetening, a few dates. I like Iron Vegan, Outcast Mission, Bob’s Red Mill, Truvani, North Coast Naturals, Sunwarrior or Aloha.
Tips & Notes
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, grate the beet before adding to the smoothie or use cooked beet instead of raw.
- Chop up the zucchini and break the orange into peices before freezing.
- Add up to 1 frozen banana for extra sweetness and creaminess or use a few dates for sweetening.
- Add the liquid to the blender first then the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low until it “catches” then slowly increase speed, blending briefly on high until it’s completely smooth and creamy.
It doesn’t have an overpowering beet flavour but you can defintely taste them. I consider it “earthy” if that makes sense! For additional sweetness and to mask the beet flavour, you can add up to 1 whole frozen banana or 3-4 small dates.
I’d recommend it as it adds sweetness and thickens the smoothie. If you’d really like to skip it, you can swap it for 1 medium frozen banana and if needed, some dates for sweetening. You could also use orange juice instead of milk to help add flavour.
This smoothie quite low in calories so I consider it more of a dessert or snack than enough for a meal. To make it more substantial suitable for a meal replacement, consider these additions:
- make it a smoothie bowl and top with granola, berries and either cacao nibs, almond butter or coconut
- 1-2 tbsp of almond butter or peanut butter
- 1-2 tbsp of ground flax seed or chia seeds
- 2-3 tbsp of hemp seeds
- 2-3 tbsp of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup of raw cashews or almonds
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen peach (add more liquid as needed)
- use light coconut milk or orange juice instead of almond milk
More Smoothie Recipes
- Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Lemon Blueberry Smoothie
- Kale Spinach Smoothie
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
This delicious vegan beet smoothie is easy to make with simple ingredients, high in protein and packed with nutrition. Enjoy this bright and beautiful creamy blend any time you need a boost in energy.
- 1 cup almond milk or plant-based milk of choice, plus more as needed to adjust consistency (250 mL)
- 1 small chopped beet, washed and root removed (100 g)
- 1 cup chopped and frozen zucchini rounds (100 g)
- 1 peeled and frozen navel orange (100 g)
- 1 cup or handful fresh spinach or kale (25 g)
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (30 g)
- 1/2 a frozen banana, optional, for sweetening (or 3–4 small pitted dates)
- Add the milk to a high-speed blender then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low then slowly increase speed, continuing to blend until it’s completely smooth and creamy. You may need to stop a few times to mix it. Give it a bit longer than you think it needs to allow all the flavours to mix together and the beet to completely mix in. If needed, add a little additional milk to adjust the thickness to your liking.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
- This smoothie does have a hint of beet flavour to it so if you’re not a big fan of beets, I’d suggest adding half a frozen banana for extra sweetness.
- To make this as a smoothie bowl, add the optional frozen banana, reduce the liquid slightly then blend on low until its thick and creamy, scoop into a bowl and enjoy with a spoon.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 258
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 25 g
Keywords: beet smoothie