- 2 small beets (1 heaping cup chopped, 200 g), peeled and cooked (see notes)
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve 2 tbsp of the liquid from the can)
- 2 tbsp chickpea liquid/aquafaba (reserved from can of chickpeas)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- Cook beets to your preference. I steamed mine but you can also roast them in the oven (see notes). They should be easily pierced with a fork when done.
- Place the cooked beets in a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse a few times to break down.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth and creamy.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To roast beets, preheat oven to 400 degrees, wrap scrubbed beets in tin foil, place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until easily pierced with a fork, approximately 45-60 minutes. Once they’re cool, rub off the peel and slice for use in the recipe. To steam beets, place a steamer basket over a saucepan and add peeled, chopped beets. Cover and steam until the beets are easily pierced with a fork, about 15-20 minutes. You can keep the skin on for steaming if you prefer, it will easily rub off once they’re cool.
This recipe makes about 15 servings of 2 heaping tablespoons, or 40 grams. I usually eat about 60 grams at a time though, which is about 1/4 cup and 88 calories, 11 g carbs, 3.4 grams fat and 4.2 grams protein.
- Serving Size: 40 grams
- Calories: 60
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g