- 1 cup pot or pearled barley, uncooked (about 3 cups cooked, for a gluten-free option, use brown rice or quinoa)
- 5 cups de-stemmed and finely chopped kale
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pistachio kernels
For the Dressing
- Cook the barley according to package instructions.
- Add the kale, parsley and red pepper to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender and mix until smooth. Add a little water, 1-2 tbsp at a time to adjust the consistency. It should be creamy but pourable. Pour over the kale mixture, stirring until the kale is well coated. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the kale to soften a bit.
- Once the barley is cooked, drain any excess water and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Fold in the raisins and pistachios.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
Keywords: barley salad, kale barley salad