- 1 cup barley, uncooked
- 5 cups kale, de-stemmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup raw pistachio kernels, unsalted
- For the Dressing:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the barley according to instructions.
- Add the kale, parsley and red pepper to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender and mix until smooth. Pour over the kale mixture, stirring until the kale is well coated.
- Once the barley is cooked, drain any excess water and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Fold in the raisins and pistachios.