For the Creamy Basil Dressing
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (70 g)
- 1/2 cup soft tofu (120 g)
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil (30 g)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons pure maple syrup (sub raw honey (not vegan) or agave)
- 1 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoon water, plus more as needed to adjust consistency
For the Avocado Kale Salad
- 8 cups lightly packed chopped kale (240 g)
- 2 cups grated carrot (2 large carrots)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli, lightly steamed
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 red pepper, diced (approx 1.5 cups)
- 1 yellow pepper, diced (approx 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 avocado per serving
- There are two options for preparing the kale. You can either lightly steam it or massage it with olive oil to soften it. I went with a quick steam by adding chopped, washed kale (so it’s still wet) to a large skillet, covering and turning the heat on for a couple of minutes. It should be slightly softened and a nice, dark green. If massaging it, drizzle the chopped kale with a little bit of olive oil and massage with your hands until softened.
- Place the basil dressing ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix until completely smooth and creamy. Let it sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Add all the chopped veggies to the kale.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and vegetables and mix well.
- Top each serving with 1/2 an avocado and a few almonds.
Keywords: avocado kale salad, basil dressing