For the Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon or orange zest
- 1 tsp apple pie spice or 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- scant 2/3 cup plant-based milk of choice
- optional: 1 tbsp raisins and/or walnuts
For the Apple
- 1 medium-sized apple, diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- optional: sprinkle of coconut sugar or drizzle of maple syrup
- Mix the overnight oats ingredients together in a container until there are no clumps remaining. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the apple ingredients to a light simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid is more or less gone. This should take about 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Scoop the apples on top of the overnight oats mixture. Let cool for a few minutes then cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, they’ll be ready to enjoy.
To make these apple pie protein oats, omit the maple syrup (unless using unsweetened protein), add 1 scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder and increase the liquid to 1 cup. You can also do a 1/2 scoop of protein, omit the maple syrup and leave the liquid at 2/3 cup.
They come out fairly sweet with 2 tsp of maple syrup so you could reduce it to 1 tsp for less sugar. For a sugar-free option, sweeten with stevia, to taste.
Keywords: apple overnight oats, healthy, easy