This quick whole grain porridge is more of a guideline than a recipe. Choose your whole grain, nuts, seeds, fruits, optional sweetener, optional add-ins, add it all to a saucepan and heat until warm and creamy. If desired, top with berries, sliced banana or a spoonful of almond butter and enjoy.
- 1/2 cup cooked of either quinoa, amaranth, teff or brown rice
- 1/4 cup of either sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds (or a mixture)
- 1/4 cup of either raw walnuts, almonds, cashews or pecans
- 2 tbsp of either chopped dates, apple juice-sweetened cranberries or raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of either almond, coconut, hemp, cashew, oat or rice milk (plus a little more if needed)
- optional: 1 tbsp sweetener of choice (maple syrup, raw honey or a few drops liquid stevia extract)
- optional: 1/2 a diced apple
- optional: 1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax seeds
- optional: a pinch of nutmeg, cardamon, ginger, turmeric or cloves
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan on the stove. Heat over medium heat, adding a bit of extra milk if needed to reach a porridge consistency. Warm over medium heat until heated through and everything is nice and soft and creamy.
- This can easily be double or tripled if needed. You really can’t go wrong and there’s not need to follow the recipe exactly. Use about 1/2 cup of cooked whole grains per person plus any add-ins you desire. Add enough milk to cover, warm it all up in a pot then pour into a bowl and enjoy! This can be made ahead of time and taken to go if needed.