These decadent chocolate cups call for just 2 simple ingredients: chocolate chips and dates! Try them for a quick and delicious dessert or sweet treat anytime of day,
- Soak the dates in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well. It’s ok if they’re wet, just be sure to drain off any excess water. Press them down as you drain them to get remove excess water.
- Add the drained dates to a food processor and blend into a smooth creamy paste. Add the vanilla and sea salt, if using.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double-broiler, or in the microwave in stirring every 15 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Divide small spoonfuls of chocolate between 12 large or 24 mini cupcake liners, spreading it around to cover the bottoms.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes or until hardened.
- Once hardened, divide the date paste by spoonfuls between the 12 (or 24) cups. It helps to use wet fingers to smooth the paste out in each cup.
- Top each cup with the rest of the melted chocolate, spreading it around with a spoon to cover up the date paste.
- Pop the cups back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or so until the chocolate has completely hardened.
I used Enjoy Life brand dairy-free chocolate chips to make these. Alternatively, you can chop up a good quality dark chocolate bar and melt that down. I found the chocolate chips to be a little on the sweet side so these might work better with some good quality dark chocolate.
Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 2 months.
If you don’t have dairy-free chocolate chips or dark chocolate on hand, you can use the chocolate recipe from these peanut butter cups from maple syrup, coconut oil and cocoa powder.
Keywords: chocolate caramel cups, healthy chocolate cups recipe