I love cashew fried rice for a quick weeknight dinner, especially if you cook the rice ahead of time! It’s as easy as can be, tastes great and with the addition of tofu, this version has 18 grams of plant-based protein per serving.
If you’re active and eat a vegetarian or vegan diet, rice is an excellent source of energy to fuel all your activities. Don’t be afraid of those carbs either! Carbs are your friend and will help keep you energized and healthy.
What you do want to avoid however, is getting carbs from highly refined, over-processed sources that offer little, if any nutiriton. Source your carbohydrates from starchy vegetables like sweet potato and squash, grains like rice, quinoa and oats and your favourite fruits.
Eat for nutrient-density, getting plenty of colours into your diet, and you should be able to cover all your nutirional bases on a plant-based diet. However, even if you do eat a very healthy, well-balance vegan diet, I would still recommend supplementing B12 and keeping an eye on calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron and omega-3. Personally, I take a B12 supplement most days, as well as calcium and omega-3 but it really depends on your diet and needs.
After tracking my food intake for a while, I found I was consistently short on calcium, so that’s something I’m aware of now. I try to eat plenty of B12 fortified and calcium-rich foods but that’s not always consistent everyday so I still take a few supplements just in case.
If you’re concerned I would recommend tracking your food intake using MyFitnessPal for at least a few weeks to see where there might be any nutritional holes in what you’re eating. From there you can work with a nutritionist or do you own research to determine where you might need some help.
Anyways, I digress. Let’s eat fried rice!
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 package organic extra-firm tofu, preferably pressed for 20-30 minutes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 6 scallions, green parts only, chopped
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- cilantro for serving
- Mix the vegetable stock, cornstarch and soy sauce in a small dish and set aside.
- In a large wok or frying pan, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat then add the tofu, garlic, red pepper and jalapeño. Cook, stirring often for about 10 minutes until the tofu starts to brown.
- Add the curry powder, stir to combine.
- Add the cashews and green onion and cook for a few more minutes until the onions are wilted.
- Add the vegetable stock mixture then stir in the cooked brown rice.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro.