Today I’m sharing a recipe for a satisfying and comforting Vegan Spicy Peanut Stew with Rice and Chickpeas. This recipe is an adaption from the Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew recipe in the Oh She Glows cookbook.
I’m sure most of you have at least heard of Oh She Glows, if not already own her cookbook. Her book is a well-used favourite in my kitchen and at least one of her wonderful, wholesome recipes makes its way in to my meal plan each week. You can find the original stew recipe here and plenty of other great recipes on her blog at OhSheGlows.com.
No Sweet Potato, No Problem
Her recipe had to be adjusted at my house since my husband doesn’t like sweet potato. Ya, the nerve, right? So sweet potato is out but rice and carrots are in, and peanut butter is of course, sticking around. The thing I love about this recipe is I almost always have everything on had to make it, plus it’s a perfect recipe to make ahead as it’s even better the next day! It freezes well too, so try making a batch on the weekend and portioning it out for grab-n-go lunches.
Food Prep Perfection
This recipe is what food prep dreams are made up. Imagine having a long, stressful day and arriving home only to remember you don’t have to cook. All you have to do is warm up a bowl of this extra hearty and satisfying vegan spicy peanut stew with rice and chickpeas. It’s comfort in a bowl all the way. The flavours even improve over a few days so it only gets better as the week goes on!
During the colder months I make a lot of soups and stews for food prep. Every Sunday, I make my meal plan, get the groceries and spend a few hours in the kitchen preparing for the week. I find it calming and it always makes me feel productive and ready to take on whatever the week has in store for me. When it comes to sticking to a healthy diet, food prep is key to help me stay on track and working toward my goals.
More Recipes For Winter Food Prep
- Slow Cooker Curried Butternut Squash Stew
- Slow Cooker Root Vegetable Stew
- Curried Ginger Carrot Soup
- Lentil, Sweet Potato and Kale Stew (Vegan, GF)
Spicy Peanut Stew with Rice and Chickpeas
This recipe is well-balanced with plenty of protein and clean carbohydrates from the rice and chickpeas. The spinach, onion, red pepper and spices add a range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and the peanut butter, well, it’s peanut butter! The peanut butter flavour isn’t overpowering though, it simply adds a subtle yet delicous peanut flavour and balances out the spice from the red pepper flakes.
This recipe can be on the table in less than 30 minutes, it keeps well, is gluten-free and makes a hearty and delicious, filling plant-based meal.Print
Spicy Peanut Stew with Rice
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (add another ¼ tsp to go extra spicy!)
- ½ tsp black pepper, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 cups lightly packed, fresh baby spinach
- 1 x 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the spices and tomato paste and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add everything else except for the lime, spinach and chickpeas. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice and vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in the lime, spinach and chickpeas and simmer for a few more minutes until the spinach is completely mixed in.
- Serve with fresh cilantro.