Oh my goodness, I’m so excited to have Ashley from Blissful Basil here on the blog today. Why? Well, I adore her beautiful blog. Like, big time blog crush. Beautiful photos, lovely writing, delicious recipes, she’s got it all.
I really can’t explain how honoured I am to be a part of the amazing community of bloggers like Ashley. Everyone is just so supportive, positive and encouraging that it never ceases to surprise me. Since I started blogging nearly 2 years ago, I’ve “met” so many incredible people online and every time I get to feature one of them here, my little heart just swells up with blogger love.
So, a huge thanks to Ashley for contributing to RORF today and big shout-out to the blogger community at large. You all inspire me every day. Alright, take it away, Ashley!
Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Bars with Hemp and Chia Seeds by Ashley Melillo
Hello, lovely RORF readers!
My name is Ashley, and I’m a school psychologist and the blogger behind Blissful Basil, a place where I share tasty, plant-powered recipes intermingled with tidbits on health, wellness, and happiness.
It’s an honor to be here with you on Running On Real Food today. I was first introduced to RORF when Deryn graciously included my blog in a round-up in the spring of 2014, and her creative, warm, and inspired approach to blogging has drawn me in ever since. Also, I’m pretty sure she’s the most talented rounder-upper of delicious vegan recipes. I mean, have you seen The Ultimate Vegan Ice Cream List? It’s brilliant and dangerous all at the same time.
Deryn, thank you for consistently dishing out awesome recipes, humbling praise, and drool-worthy round-ups! You’re an inspiration.
Although these Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Bars with Hemp and Chia Seeds are easy to make, don’t dare underestimate their talents; they packs oodles of flavor and an energetic kick. Did I mention they taste like oatmeal raisin cookies? Well, they do, and they make smart snacking feel a smidge decadent. Plus, each and every ingredient in these bars extends a generous nutritional offering (e.g., hemp seeds = complete protein source, dates = rich in fiber/potassium/iron, walnuts = rich in Omega-3s, etc.).
To make these bars, you’ll simply toss dates, oats, walnuts, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg into a food processor. You’ll process until a crumbly mixture is formed and stir in raisins and pepitas to add texture and a dash of color. After pressing the mixture into a pan, you’ll pop it in the freezer to set for a hot chilly minute. Then, you’ll slice into squares and enjoy. Here’s to having our health and eating blissfully too.
- 1 ½ cups medjool dates, pitted and packed
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup pepitas
- Add the dates, oats, walnuts, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a food processor. Pulse several times and then process until a crumbly, sticky mixture is formed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixture bowl, add in the raisins and pepitas, and fold to incorporate.
- Line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture to the pan, and use your hands to press down into the pan. You’ll only need about two-thirds of the pan, so push the mixture up against one side of the pan and work out from there, forming a ½-inch-thick bar. Note: if the mixture is sticking to your hands, wet them slightly to repel the stickiness of the dates.
- Transfer the pan to the freezer to set for 1 hour.
- Once set, remove the large bar from the pan by lifting up the parchment paper. Slice into squares.
Read more about Ashley on her blog, Blissful Basil or connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest.