Who doesn’t love the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate? Have you ever met anyone who didn’t? Maybe if you have a peanut allergy, you’re excused, but other than that – how could you resist??! It’s a delicious match made in sweet, sweet peanut butter heaven and these vegan chocolate covered peanut butter balls are the perfect way to pair the two.
The only problem with these peanut butter balls is it’s way too easy to eat one, or two, or three…or four. After eating a few too many yesterday, I had to hide them in the back of the crisper under some kale, just to be safe. These are dangerous, so be prepared…and stay safe.
A Healthier Chocolate Peanut Butter Ball
Traditional peanut butter balls are made with a ton of butter and powdered sugar, on the other hand these little beauties have no added refined sugar! Instead, they’re sweetened with just 2 tbsp of maple syrup and coated in rich, dark chocolate.
I also used a small amount of coconut oil and nutritional yeast, both for flavour and texture. The nutritional yeast actually makes them taste like a Reese Peanut Butter Cup! Yes, you heard right! A healthy Reese Peanut Butter Cup in melt-in-your-mouth vegan format.
Vegan Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls
To make the peanut butter filling, make sure you use natural peanut butter and not a processed variety. There are plenty of good brands in stores or you can always make your own at home. The ingredients listed should be peanuts or peanuts and salt and there should be no sugar or oil listed as an ingredient. For the delicious, simple chocolate coating for these balls, you’ll want to get your hands on some quality dark chocolate or vegan chocolate chips. I like Green & Blacks Organic Dark Chocolate or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.
Other than the chocolate and peanut butter, you’ll just need a little maple syrup, coconut oil and nutritional yeast to finish these up. Once you’ve coated them in chocolate and allowed them to set, dig in. They’re crunchy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth on the inside with the perfect balance of sweet and salty.Print
- Vigorously mix together the first 4 ingredients in large bowl for about 30-60 seconds. It should begin to thicken up a little.
- Place the bowl in the freezer until it firms up enough to roll into balls. Approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Once it’s ready, roll the peanut butter mixture into 18-20 balls.
- Place in the fridge while you start the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over small pan of boiling water.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with wax paper on it.
- Once the chocolate is totally melted, roll each peanut butter ball in the chocolate using a fork or toothpick until it’s completely covered.
- Tap any excess chocolate off on the side of the bowl before placing on the cookie sheet.
- Once you’ve covered them all, place the cookie sheet in the fridge.
- Place in the freezer to set for about 20 minutes.
- They will melt at room temperature, so store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat! Try serving them in mini cupcake liners, yum!