When my husband requested tortilla soup for dinner yesterday I wasn’t really expecting anything too outstanding.
I decided to wing it but still write the recipe down, just in case. Well, oh my word, am I ever glad I did! This is the best vegan tortilla soup I’ve ever had and after eating the leftovers for lunch today, I can say it’s even better the next day!
As much as I love tortilla soup, I think the toppings might actually be my favourite part. Avocado, cilantro, lime, crispy tortilla, what’s not to love? If you really want to go for it, you could even add some vegan cheese and sour cream. Homemade or store-bought would both be delicious additions!
To make these amazing crispy, salted tortilla strips, I used my favourite white corn tortillas from La Tortilla Factory. These guys make a mean, authentic tortilla and they’re my go-to for tacos, burritos and other Mexican-inspired dishes.
They’re soft, thick and chewy and when fried in a pan, they puff up and come to a perfect crisp, absolutely perfect for adding to this soup! I also added 1 tortilla right into the soup and I think that really helped bring it all together!
The best part of this soup? You only need a few simple ingredients and it can be ready in about 20 minutes. It’s super easy to make yet the the flavour of this simple, vegan soup absolutely delivers. Enjoy!Print
This vegan tortilla soup is easy to make in about 20 minutes with simple, everyday ingredients. It might just be the Best Vegan Tortilla Soup there is! Top it with avocado, lime, cilantro and tortilla strips for a comforting, healthy and absolutely delicious meal.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 28 oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes (fire-roasted is even better!)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 6-8” inch corn tortilla
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 19 oz can black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion, garlic and jalapeño in the olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring until soft and fragrant.
- Add the diced tomato, vegetable stock, tortilla, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir well and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, cilantro and lime and simmer a few more minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or by placing most of the soup in a blender, blend just enough to ensure the tortilla has been blended completely into the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, fresh lime and crispy tortilla strips.
To make crispy tortilla strips, cut 1/2-1 corn tortilla per person into approximately 1/4-1/2 inch strips. Fry the strips in a large pan with 1-2 tsp of olive oil over medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Flip and stir frequently to ensure they don’t burn.
It took me about 10-12 minutes to get them nice and crispy. I also added a little salt and pepper to the pan for seasoning. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
Want to help me keep Running on Real Food up and running? If you enjoyed this recipe, please take a moment to share it via your favourite social media network below. Even better, if you make it, snap and pic and tag me on Instagram @runningonrealfood! Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy this!