I’ve never been a big food prepper because well, I’m kinda lazy. But since discovering I can put in a little bit of work now to save time later, I’ve added Sunday food prep to my weekends. It doesn’t take a lot of time and it ensures that if I have long, busy day during the week I always have something quick and easy to throw together for dinner. Another bonus of food prepping is always having an easy, healthy lunch ready for work. If I have to spend my lunch break going to buy lunch, I don’t have time to work out and that just won’t do.
This was one of the recipes I whipped up today for Sunday food prep. I love having a big batch of hummus for the week because it’s so versatile. I can eat it with raw veggies, throw it into salads or spread it in veggie wraps and sandwiches. This is one of my favourite ways to make hummus. It’s a little spicy, a little sweet, and a lot delicious. This makes a massive batch and usually lasts all week.
This recipe is very easy to make, even the roasted red peppers! Once I discovered I can easily make roasted red peppers at home, I make them all the time. I’ve used them as a pizza topping, in pasta dishes and my go-to, in this spicy hummus recipe.
- 2 red peppers, seeded, roasted and peeled
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded, roasted and peeled
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and well-rinsed
- 3 heaping tbsp tahini
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Wash the red peppers and serrano pepper, seed and cut in half. Flatten the halfs out on a tin-foil lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes on broil. Place the rack near the top. You'll want the top of the peppers to be burnt, that's normal.
- Remove the peppers from the oven when done and wrap up in the tin foil. Let them steam inside the tin foil for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a food processor or high-powered blender.
- Once the red peppers have finished steaming, open the tin foil and peel the skins of the peppers. Discard the skin.
- Add the peppers to the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend all ingredients on high until smooth.