How was everyone’s weekend? Mine was good, aside from being the usual 2 days-too-short. Friday was date night with the hubby, Saturday was CrossFit and relaxing and Sunday was a hiking with the dogs, and the usual groceries and errands. How about losing that hour on a Sunday? Why do they do that to us?!! The extra hour of light is nice though and it means Spring and Summer are on the horizon.
I did my CrossFit Games Open 14.2 workout on Friday morning and as expected, scored a wee 10 reps. I don’t quite have chest-to-bar pullups yet so I couldn’t get past the first 10 reps of 65 lb overhead squats. That’s allright though, I’ve almost got them and it’s even more motivation to keep working on it. I know a lot of people struggled with 14.2 and for a good reason, it was one seriously evil, little WOD.
I’m looking forward to the 14.3 announcement and hoping it will be a bit more inclusive. I did get an 80 lb snatch and 125 lb power clean this week though, so all in all, it was a good week! Can’t wait to get back in there tomorrow!
For Sunday night dinner I had a craving for Mexican food that just had to be dealt with. Mexican cuisine is one of my favourites. Lime, cilantro, avocado, salsa….you really can’t go wrong with those flavours. Usually I make the “meat” for Mexican dishes with lentils, but since I have a 1/2 paleo household now I had to get a little more creative and try something new. I went with cauliflower and walnuts for the “meat” and that worked out great! Add in some spices and the peppers and it’s fajita time, baby!
You could always wrap it up in a tortilla if you’re not eating paleo, but the romaine leaves makes for a nice light dinner. You could also mix it all up as a big salad if your romaine isn’t working well for the boats. It all ends up in the same place anyways.
This would be amazing on a hot summer evening with an ice cold Corona on the side. Summertime dreaming again. It’s coming. Hold in there, everyone!
- 2 x 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Spice Mix: 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1½ tsp chili powder, 1½ tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 crown cauliflower, grated
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lime, cut in half
- romaine leaves for the boats (I used the packaged variety that come 3 to a bag)Topping Ideas:
- Sliced black olives
- Vegan cheese, grated
- Grated carrots
- Cook the onion and garlic in 1 tsp of coconut oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl.
- Add the sliced peppers to the garlic and onion, along with ½ of the spice mixture and the juice of ½ a lime. Cook until soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Cook the cauliflower and walnuts in the other 1 tsp of coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the other ½ of the spice mixture and the tomato paste. Spritz with the juice of ½ a lime.
- Continue cooking the cauliflower until it's soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Lay pieces of romaine out on a plate. Top with a scoop of the cauliflower "meat" and a scoop of the peppers.
- Add your toppings.
How did your workouts go this past week? Did you beat any personal records or achieve any goals?
Is there something in particular you’ve been working on in the gym? How’s it going?
Do you plan “date nights” with your significant other? What do you like to do for them? (Ideas, please!)
Well, time to go, my friends. Time for some final Sunday relaxing before Monday arrives once again. I hope you all had a nice weekend!