I know it’s supposed to be Spring, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a little vegan lentil sweet potato stew, does it? It’s been pretty dreary and rainy here in Vancouver anyways, so I don’t mind a big, hearty, warming bowl of nutritious stew.
This bowl of warmth is perfect for a grey and chilly day. Plus, it’s even better the next day so it’s a great dish to make ahead of time. I made this yesterday and will be enjoying it for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. The flavours really come together as it sits for a day or two!
P.S. I Love You
Before I go and leave you with this beautiful bowl of goodness, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your comments here on the blog. Blogging is a lot of work and there are days when I want to give up, but then I get a positive and inspirational comment and it’s just about the best thing ever!
Whether it was someone who made and enjoyed one of my recipes, or tried one of my workouts and loved it, it makes my day 1000x over. It reminds me why I started this blog and really motivates me to continue on with it. The people I’ve met because of Running on Real Food, even if it’s just online, mean the world to me. So thank you everyone!
Lentil Sweet Potato Stew with Kale
This hearty vegan lentil sweet potato stew is one of my favourite recipes. It’s easy to make in one pot, ready in about 30 minutes and tastes amazing. It has a curry base with fresh ginger, onion and garlic and the carrots, sweet potato, kale and lentils pack in the nutrition. The texture is perfectly creamy with delicious bites of sweet potato and carrot. This is a great recipe to make for food prep as the flavours only improve the next day. Try making a batch on Sundays so you’ve got cozy weeknight dinner ready to go!Print
Lentil, Sweet Potato and Kale Stew (Vegan, GF)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup lentils, uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (approx. 3-4 cups)
- 6 cups lightly packed kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the curry powder, salt, ginger, tomato paste and cook a few more minutes, stirring.
- Add the lentils and broth, cover and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots and sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir in the kale and cook 5-10 more minutes. If the lentils are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed, it’s ready!
- Makes 4 large servings.