So, I’m kinda excited about these veggie burgers…almost excited as I am about these veggie burgers but that’s another story (one you should check out because they’re awesome).
Lemon and tahini are two of my favourite ingredients, partly because they’re the key to amazing hummus, but also because they’re both healthy, flavourful and versatile foods that I use in a ton of recipes.
These veggie burgers are made with chickpeas, zucchini, tahini, lemon, oats and a handful of yummy flavour boosters such as garlic. Best thing about these beauties, if you cook them over medium heat in a good non-stick skillet, they come out crispy and perfect on the outside, soft on the inside and THEY WILL HOLD TOGETHER! The fact that they hold together actually makes them perfect for grab-n-go snacking next day too!
Lemon Tahini Chickpea Veggie Burgers
high in protein
high in fibre
awesome as a salad topper
delicious grab n’ go healthy snack
pile them high on a bun with toppings
serve with a side of baked fries
easy to make
cook stovetop, BBQ or bake them
amazing fresh flavour
crisped outside, soft inside
hold together nicely
I typically eat these with a big salad on the side but they’re also amazing on a delicious bun topped with all your favourite veggie burger toppings.
Avocado, lettuce and tomato makes a great combo! Try adding an extra drizzle of tahini on top too…amazing.
- 2 cups (350 g) cooked chickpeas
- ½ (150 g) red onion, finely diced
- 1 (200 g) zucchini, grated
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest, optional for extra lemon flavour
- 3 tbsp (45 g) tahini
- 1 cup (100 g) quick oats
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Frank's Red Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a fork. It's okay if some whole chickpeas are left but it should be mostly mashed up. It can be chunky though.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into 9 patties.
- Lightly spray a good non-stick skillet with cooking oil and heat pan over medium heat. Cook the burgers for approximately 10 minutes per side until crisped and firm.
If you guys enjoy this recipe, please take a moment to let me know in the comment section below and share via your favourite social network below! I really appreciate any support you can show Running on Real Food and I also just love to hear from you! You can also tag me on Instagram @runningonrealfood if your version of my recipes, so I can have a look! You guys are DA BEST!! Seriously, love you. -D.