The power of healthy, whole food really is amazing, isn’t it? After a weekend of beers, vegan nachos, a big veggie burger, yam fries and a few other not-to-so healthy vegan foods I was feeling pretty gross by the time Sunday night came around. But don’t worry, whole foods to the rescue! After 4 days of loads of lemon water, tons of fresh veggies and lots of protein it’s like night and day!
I’m feeling much better and ready to continue along with my usual ways! It’s so important to just move on if you eat something less than healthy, it’s not a big deal, however if you continue down that path it will be. Don’t let it completely derail your nutrition plan, just pick back up and return to your healthy habits! And who wouldn’t want to return to all these beautiful, colourful, vibrant plant foods!
It’s easy for me to stay on track during the week when routines and schedules are in tact. I know when I’ll be eating, everything is portioned in Tupperware and meals are much more regular. Then the weekend comes and I’m usually pretty good on the weekends, but it’s the going out for meals that really gets me. Even if it’s just sushi or Thai food my portions sizes are probably enough for 2-3 people. Ooooooopsies.
Now what better way to continue keepin’ it clean than eating a great big, fresh superfood salad packed with all my favourites! Let’s see, red kale…check! swiss chard….check! goji berries….check! hemp seeds….check!!! Delicious right?! Note, I did use honey in the dressing so if you want to make it vegan you’ll have to switch it out for another sweetener, maple syrup or liquid stevia should do it. I added my salad to a bed of butter lettuce and topped with some extra hemp seeds but it’s just perfect as is too!
- 1 bunch of red kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch swiss chard, de-stemmed and chopped
- sea salt
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup goji berries
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- Place the kale and swiss chard in a large bowl with the lemon, olive oil and sea salt. Massage well so all the leaves are coated. Set aside.
- Make the Creamy Cashew Dressing.
- Let the dressing sit while you chop up the rest of the veggies.
- Add all the veggies to the kale and chard, pour the dressing over and mix well.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup + ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp basil, light packed or 1 tbsp very tightly packed
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp raw honey (use another sweetener to make it vegan)
- Placing all the ingredients except the water into a high-powered blender and mixing well.
- Slowly add the water until you reach the desired consistency. (I used a full ½ cup)