I scream! We scream! We all scream for…..kale? Okay, maybe that’s a stretch but eating kale just makes me feel so good, you? All dark, leafy greens are nutritional champs but kale is the leanest and meanest of them all and I think I love it the most. This flavourful, healthy kale and cauliflower soup is a delicious, nutritious and easy way to eat more kale! It’s very low calorie, low in carbs and essentially fat-free so you’re free to load up and enjoy a nice piece of fresh bread on the side!
What About Cauliflower?
I can’t forget my love for cauliflower. There are many reasons that I love this beautiful, cruciferous superfood vegetable.
First of all, did you know cauliflower is low in fat and carbohydrates, but packed with fibre, folate, water, vitamin C and several phytochemical that may protect against cancer? Win. Secondly, cauliflower is an excellent sneaky veggie chameleon. It can masquerade as ground beef, rice, mashed potatoes and chicken wings and those are just a few of the tricks it has up it’s sleeve!
My favourite thing about cauliflower though, is how high volume it is, meaning I can eat a big, satisfying serving and I’ve barely made a dent in my calories I need in a day. It’s so filling and high in fibre that it keeps me full for hours despite being so low calorie.
Healthy Kale and Cauliflower Soup
I love this soup. It’s so, so easy to make it can be ready in about 20 minutes start to finish. The base is nice and thick like chowder but there are chunks of cauliflower and carrot throughout, as well as little bites of kale. You don’t need much to make it either, just a few everyday ingredients and you’re good to go!
The only veggies you need are carrots, onions, garlic, cauliflower and kale. Aside from that, you’ll just need a few spices and vegetable stock and that’s it!
This kale and cauliflower soup is vegan, gluten-free, healthy, cheap, low fat, low carb, easy-to-make…I hope you love it as much as I do!
- 1 yellow onion (390 g)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 medium carrots (175 g, approx. 1.5 cups chopped)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 head cauliflower (775 g, approx. 7 cups chopped)
- 4 cups chopped, de-stemmed kale (120 g)
- Saute the onions and garlic in a a few splashes of vegetable stock until they start to soften.
- Add in the chopped carrots, parsley and thyme. Cook a few more minutes, adding a bit more stock if needed.
- Add in the vegetable stock and chopped cauliflower.
- Simmer until the cauliflower is tender.
- Place most of the soup into a blender. Leave some pieces of carrot and cauliflower behind so it will be somewhat chunky.
- Process until smooth and then place back in the pot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped kale. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow kale to soften.