Many years ago, I worked in Zug, Switzerland as an au pair for a wonderful family with 4 beautiful children. We used to have this amazing, delicious potato salad with our dinners and I loved it. I’m not a fan of the mayonnaise-based potato salad you typically find here so when I first had that basic, tangy potato dish in Switzerland, I was hooked!
This salad isn’t exactly like the one we would have there (if anyone has a recipe for Swiss Potato Salad – puuuhhhllease, hand it over! I will love you forever), but it’s really tasty anyhow. It’s also really, really easy to make.
Boil the taters, chop the herbs, mix the dressing and you’re done and done!
To me this is summertime comfort food, it would make a great side for BBQ and you don’t even have to tell anyone it’s vegan. 😉
Hot Potato Salad with Scallions and Herb Vinaigrette (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad, Side
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 lbs. of red potatoes, sliced approx. 1/3 inch thick
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped (approx. 1 cup loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 heaping tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, very finely chopped
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped parsley and green onions.
- Add the vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil and thyme to a container and shake vigorously until well-mixed.
- Add about 1/2-2/3 of the vinaigrette to the potato mixture, there should be some left over which you can save for a later use.
- Mix and serve.