Despite it being almost 30 degrees here today, I made hearty tomato lentil soup and I feel a serious soup kick might be lying just around the corner.
Summer has returned in Vancouver and I know I said I’m dying for fall, but I take it back. It snowed in Calgary today. Snow, guys, SNOW. I’m so not ready to hear that. We don’t really need this lentil soup here in Vancouver yet, but maybe it will help keep you Alberta folks a little warmer.
This delicious, savoury soup is certainly more suited to a chilly fall day, but who am I to turn down a bowl of soup. Also, I had everything to make it and I was lazy after work today. 1 pot, minimal chopping and even more importantly, minimal dishes. I know you’re with me on that one.
Soup is probably my favourite thing to make in the kitchen. It’s easy (read: I’m lazy), it’s cheap and I usually have everything I need to make it. It’s also, for me anyways, a healthy staple in a vegan diet. It’s so filling, packed with nutrition, there are endless varieties and it’s a great clean-out-the-fridge meal. You really can’t screw it up either, making it just about perfect for me!
Plus perusing Pinterest lately has been soup-spiring with recipes like this Smoky Roasted Cauliflower Soup, this Smoky Coconut and Butternut Squash Soup and Loaded Nacho Soup. Did I mention a soup kick coming on?
Enjoy, friends! Hope you all had a great Monday!
Hearty Tomato Lentil Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Main Dish, Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatos, with juice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the celery, stock, lentils, tomatoes and all the spices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft and tender. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Makes 4 large servings.