The changing weather is making me crave all sorts of creamy, carby dishes just like this one. I don’t normally crave pasta, or even eat much of it, but lately I have been and who am I to argue with a pasta craving?
Since fall has seemingly decided to show up, I need all these carbs for running in the rain anyways, so, it’s all good.
I know fall has officially arrived when pumpkin takes over Pinterest, and it’s happened all ready. Man, that snuck up fast, didn’t it?! That’s okay though because I love fall and all the delicious soups and stews and chilis it brings with it. And rain, of course, this is Vancouver after all.
On the next dreary, grey and rainy day, just make yourself a big bowl of this creamy pasta, grab a good book and curl up on the couch….it will make everything better. Promise.
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Linguine with Peas and Kale
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Pasta, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed (approx. 2 lb. squash, peeled and seeded)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 16 oz. linguine (or pasta of choice)
- 4 cups black kale, de-stemmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the squash is soft, approximately 20-25 minutes. The liquid should reduce by about half, but add a bit more if needed as it cooks.
- While the squash is cooking, cook the linguine according to package instructions in a large pot of salted water. Once it’s cooked, strain while reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Once the squash is cooked, add the mixture to a blender and puree until completely smooth and creamy.
- Add the puree back into the pan. Add the kale, peas, pasta and the 1 cup of reserved liquid. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the kale is soft.
Adapted from Creamy Butternut Squash Linguine with Fried Sage by Cookie and Kate.