This was my second try making these bars and I’m glad I re-attempted because I love the addition of chia seeds in this version. They give a nice little crunch and add some extra nutrition. I love chia seeds, they are definitely a kitchen staple at my house. I usually just use them for chia seed pudding but sometimes I like to add them in to recipes as well.
One of the first recipes I posted on Running on Real Food was my No-Bake Chocolate Chia Energy Bars which continue to be a reader favourite. There’s been Chia Seed Pancakes, Nut and Seed Nutrition Bars and now I get to add these Chocolate Chip Chia Seeds Bars to the list!
Chia seeds have a ton of great health benefits. They’re high in antioxidants, fibre, protein and omega-3 fatty acids as well as minerals such as calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Chia seeds are a particularly good addition to a plant-based diet for their high levels of calcium, omega-3 and protein. They’re also an amazing hydrator and can be used to make an excellent all-natural energy drink.
In typical Running on Real Food fashion, these bars are no-bake and only require a few common ingredients. Simply mix them up in a bowl, no blending required, press into a baking pan and place in the freezer to set. They taste awesome, are chewy but have a nice crunch from the chia seeds and they make a great breakfast on-the-go or snack anytime of day.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Line a square baking pan with wax paper, parchment paper or saran and press the mixture into the pan.
- Spend a few minutes really pressing it in there, this will help them hold together properly.
- Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into 8 bars or 16 squares and store in the fridge or freezer in a sealed container.
I love, love, love seeing you guys make my recipes so be sure to tag me on Instagram @runningonrealfood when your creation is ready!