These baked banana chocolate chip oatmeal bars are made with just 5 ingredients: banana, oats, cocoa, chocolate vegan protein powder and chocolate chips! They’re macro-friendly with just 18 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein per 114 calorie bar. If you need a boost before a workout or a sweet treat during the day, these are perfect!
Getting Back on Track
After the holiday season, a month-long vacation and a complete relaxation of my diet, I recently started tracking macros again. I love the results I see with consistently eating right for my body and performance goals. It’s only been a week of 100% consistency but I feel about a million times better than when I got back from vacation last weekend. It’s been a little discouraging knowing I back-tracked quite a bit but no worries, that’s life. It’s time for head down, eyes forward and hard work. It’s actually kind of exciting thinking of where I can be in 6 months. Consistency and patience are everything!
If you’re interested in learning more about macros, I’ve shared a number of helpful posts on vegan flexible dieting. You can check them out below if you would like to learn how you can use macros to reach your health and fitness goals.
Vegan Flexible Dieting Series
That should get you started! There are a few more posts in the series, you can find the links to all of the posts on the topic on my Flexible Dieting page.
Baked Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
Baked oatmeal bars are kind of like a bowl of oatmeal in solid form. In fact, I’d say that perfectly describes them! This particular version is adapted from my baked strawberry oatmeal protein bars .
I make baked oatmeal bars a lot without using recipes because you really can’t go wrong. Basically mix any fruit puree with oats, bake it and you’re good to go! I usually make them with banana and I like to add vegan protein powder just so they’re a bit more macro-balanced but the adding protein is optional.
These banana chocolate chips ones definitely more of treat with the added chocolate chips, chocolate protein and cocoa powder!
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips
I made this recipe with Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels in these but their mini chocolate chips or chocolate chunks would also be awesome! You can use any kind of chocolate you want or feel free to leave them out if you want to further reduce the macros (not recommended, it’s chocolate!). If you do make them without chocolate chips, they’re just 97 calories each with 16C/1.5F/6P per bar.
If you cut them into the recommended 16 servings they’re fairly small bars, so making 10-12 bars out of it might be nice for a more satisfying serving size! I typically just eat two at a time anyways, so I like the flexibility of 16 bars. Lol.
- 1¾ cups (410 g) mashed banana (I used 4 small bananas)
- 2 cups (200 g) quick oats
- 2 servings (88 g) Vega Performance Protein Chocolate Flavour
- 2 tbsp (15 g) unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 4 tbsp (60 g) Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels or Mini Chocolate Chips
- a few pinches of stevia powder, 2 packets or 10-20 drops liquid stevia, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a fork to completely mash the bananas so they're almost like a puree.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix in the banana until the mixture forms a thick dough. I used my hands to work it all together.
- Press the dough into a 7-8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool then slice into 16 bars and store in the fridge.